Promoting Fundamental British Values at Honiton Primary School
In November 2014, the Department for Education published new guidance on improving Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural (SMSC) development of young children and adolescents. Central to this new guidance was the promotion of fundamental British values that empower learners to leave school prepared for life in modern Britain. This updated guidance is designed to help schools understand their responsibilities in this area.
Schools now have a duty to ‘actively promote’ the fundamental British values of:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
What are Values?
Values are things that are important to us both as individuals and as a wider society. They are also deeply held principles that guide our thinking, choices and behaviours whilst also influencing how we mange our emotions. Values are ‘humanistic’.
Why is developing a Rights-Respecting / Values based ethos important?
When we understand our own values, rights and responsibilities we are better placed to skilfully and consistently apply appropriate values in different contexts. By understanding other people’s values, the values influencing society and the values affecting our environment we are more able to make decisions that promote respect and tolerance within society.
How do we promote British Values at HPS?
- We are an accredited UNICEF Rights Respecting School.
- We have an embedded LIFE Curriculum that covers all areas of SMSC.
- We have an established system of Rights-Respecting Ambassadors who model and promote values, rights and responsibilities to their peers.
- We welcome and encourage the support from our diverse cultural school community.
- We actively teach and encourage our children on ways to stay safe.
- We welcome the support of the local community when it comes to promoting values.
- We communicate and inform parents about our SMSC work.
- We learn about and support charities, both nationally and globally, who defend the rights of children.
- We value the importance of a ‘creative’ curriculum where-by children can learn and grow as value-driven learners.
For more information about Rights-Respecting schools, British values and SMSC, please contact Mr Lopez at Honiton Primary School.