Good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing. They can:
- Help you to build a sense of belonging and self-worth.
- Give you an opportunity to share positive experiences.
- Provide emotional support and allow you to support others.
There are so many interesting, fun and exciting ways for children, adults, friends and families to connect. Have a look at the list below for some ideas that you may wish to try out!
- Where possible, take time each day 'to be' with your family, for example, try arranging a fixed time to eat dinner or excersie together.
- Try switching off the TV to talk or play a game with your children, friends or family.
- Make the most of technology to stay in touch with friends and family. Video-chat apps like Zoom and FaceTime are useful, especially if you live far apart.
- Books are a brilliant way to connect. Find a picture book or great chapter book and share them and as family.
- The Great Family Bake Off! - Get cooking as a family. From the simple omelette to a family birthday cake, cooking hits the mark on so many levels.
- Listen to music together - what do you like, dislike about each others styles?! Have a boogie to each others favourite tracks!
- Family film nights - duvets, pillows, blankets, snacks. Turn your front room into the local Odeon cinema and stream a family film.
- Get out the old family photos - always a classic family activity!
- Colouring - proven to reduce stress and anxiety whilst also getting families talking. The end results can also be proudly displayed in the home. Win, win!