All About Nursery
Welcome to Little Hippos Nursery!
At Little Hippos Nursery we can offer...
- An experienced Early Years team, led by qualified teachers, who will care for your child in a way that helps them learn and thrive. Our Nursery puts children at the heart of their learning. We believe that a child’s school journey should be a healthy balance of quality teaching and child-led exploration and curiosity, and our Early Years is no exception. We strive to give children a rich learning experience in the context of warm, caring relationships with adults who are skilful at supporting early development.
- A close partnership between parents and staff. We pride ourselves on the positive relationships we forge with parents, and we see our role as being there for you as much as we are for your child. Working alongside parents is essential if children are going to be happy and thrive. We’ll work with you to share your child’s learning and experiences and we’ll support you every step of the way if you feel you need us to. We’re in this together – a unique child and a unique bond.
- A purpose-built Early Years Unit, with direct access to a large and exciting garden. We are lucky to have a purpose-built Early Years Unit, which was opened in September 2019. The nursery classroom is large and spacious, with direct access to a dedicated outdoor area, used exclusively by our youngest children. In addition, our nursery children can play in our shared Early Years garden, which contains a mud kitchen, a water play area, a sensory area, and even a climbing frame! See the 'Our Environment' page for more details.
- Regular forest school sessions in our school woods (currently three visits per week). We believe children thrive when they spend lots of time outdoors. This is why our Nursery children spend three mornings a week in our school woods, taking part in a variety of forest school activities, and enjoying getting thoroughly muddy!
- On-site support from a range of school staff (for example our Pastoral Manager, our SENCO, and our specialist Higher Level Teaching Assistants). Because Little Hippos is part of Honiton Primary School we have access to a range of additional support for you and your child on-site: our Pastoral Manager is on-hand to provide support with the ups and downs of parenting little ones, our SENCO can observe, advise, and make appropriate referrals to outside agencies if needed, and our Specialist Speech and Language Higher Level Teaching Assistant can provide advice and support regarding language needs.
- A smooth transition to our Reception classes. The transition from Nursery to our Reception classes is a very smooth one as by the time children start school, we know them and they know us!
We want our children to thrive and there’s no better place for this than at
Little Hippos Nursery.
If you think our Nursery might be right for your child, then please get in touch - we would love to hear from you. You can fill in the enquiry form on our Nursery Admissions page, or phone or email the school office to arrange a visit. Further information about the admissions process can be found here.